Two waste stations operated by one of Victoria’s largest waste disposal companies are temporarily closed, and the Victorian State Government meets with several city halls to avoid reclaimable waste being thrown into landfills. The two SKL recycling stations in Coolaroo and Laverton were ordered by the environmental authorities to stop accepting garbage last week because of hoarding. SKM’s three dumpsters accept about half of Victoria’s roadside recycling waste, but since China stopped accepting foreign waste, the garbage in the station has accumulated. The state government will meet with the affected city hall on Monday to discuss what to do before the two SKM dumps are reopened. Lily D’Ambrosio, the director of the Environment Agency, told the Australian Broadcasting Radio: “This is indeed a disappointing situation.” “Some companies, including SKM, are not so cooperative in managing waste storage.” Port Phillip City Hall said that they had to dump the rubbish into the landfill two days this week, but SKM is expected to reopen.
On July 13, 2017, a fire broke out at a SKM station in Coolaroo. Six hundred firefighters spent three weeks around the clock to put out the fire. The fire burned for more than two weeks, causing hundreds of residents to evacuate and others to be sent to the hospital. The fire triggered inspections in Victoria, and 466 inspectors inspected 155 dumpsters. They opened 144 rectification notices and 23 penalty notices.
reference:
https://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/meetings-as-victorian-recycling-piles-up/news-story/d0b24a409d8dbed4722424207e596e20.