

The Australian University Federation asked the federal government to apologize for holding and interrogating Chinese students for hours when the travel ban was introduced. On Saturday night, about 70 Chinese students were blocked at Sydney Airport, partly denied entry due to a federal ban just hours ago. Chinese students have also been questioned in Melbourne and Brisbane.
University officials reported that some students had interrogated for hours and had been taken without food or luggage. Australian University Federation President Catriona Jackson said she raised the issue directly with Home Affairs Minister Dutton, hoping to seek an official apology for the badly treated international students.
“This is not the way to treat people who come to Australia with absolute good wishes.” She said some students are concerned that their visas will be cancelled based on information given by border officials. She said it is important for Chinese students to get accurate information. She said Dutton agreed “to resolve these issues quickly.”
Minister of Higher Education Dan Tehan met with the newly formed working group at noon on Monday. That night he met with the Australian University Federation Board. He said that it would provide flexible arrangements for Chinese students to study online or distance, whether they are self-isolated or returned to China. A petition asking the University of Sydney to postpone the start date to March 9 has collected 4,000 signatures. About 189,000 Chinese students are enrolled in the Australian higher education system. 155,000 of them are studying at Australian universities.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/universities-seek-apology-for-chinese-students-detained-in-australia